Bo Peng wrote:
Dear list,

May it be a good idea to compile  .py files to windows .exe files
under windows? Currently, lyx/win depends on tetex, imagemagic,
python, perl and mingw. We can remove mingw and perl soon but it would
be better if we can distribute compiled .py files and remove Python
from this list as well.  I have never tried this but it seems to me
that many people are doing exact this. (c.f.
http://effbot.org/zone/python-compile.htm and python newsgroup.)

I would not hesitate to distribute convert.exe and its supporting
files along with lyx/win if there is no license issue. If this can be
done, there is no reason to support lyx/cygwin.

Any opinion?

Hi, Bo.

I'm not going to comment on the practicality or otherwise of doing this; others have done that. However, I think that it's a little premature because we still have a run-time dependence on sh :)

See src/graphics/GraphicsConverter.C, which generates a shell script on the fly to control the conversion of your_file.eps to your_file.png (say).

I think that this thing should be recast to create a Python script in the first instance.

Regards,
Angus