Angus> Whoa! Whilst that is consistent, I'd like to remind you that
Angus> LyX has aspirations to be more than just a LaTeX frontend. IMO
Angus> we should output the semantics, not the LaTeX code:

Angus> \InsetSpace \space --> \InsetSpace space \insetSpace \, -->
Angus> InsetSpace thinspace

In this case, even the leading \ is not needed.

As Juergen wrote, we may not need to do big changes here at this time.
I only proposed to make changes to have some consistency.

I guess it is time to ask Lars, then. Lars, what shall we do?