Bo Peng wrote:

I have that option on, but lyx does not call miktex when it opens a
file with unrecognized class type. I need to fire up miktex package
manager to install beamer, and run re-configure from lyx.

I did this:

(You need at first a syncronization with a mirror of MiKTeX's package repository. (Click in MiKTeX Options on the Package tab and syncronize with a package repository.))

before I opened a LyX-file that uses beamer. When I now open one, MiKTeX comes up and wants to install "pgf" and "xcolor". When I export it to PDF, MiKTeX asks me to install "beamer". So everything works fine with my installation.

What exactly is the 'program files' problem? You didn't described it or
I missed an email from you.

I was referring to my first unsuccessful attempt, where I used the
default directory (c:\program files\lyx) to install lyx. I guess 99%
of the users will click 'next' without thinking over there, and
without proper explanation, some people with change the directory to
'c:\program files\lyx' even if you set the default to 'c:\lyx'.

I'm confused now. The default is indeed "C:\program files\lyx" and it should work with every folder, also if someone installs it to "C:\lyx" So what was the problem? You installed to "C:\program files\lyx" and it didn't work? And if you retried it installing it to "C:\lyx" it works?

regards Uwe