On Dec 6, 2005, at 11:44 AM, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:

| Should we aim at a Christmas pre-release?

One better I'd say: Christmas release candidate

I've pushed pretty hard for this before, but I'd like to push again before release: speed of LyX-1.4.0 on Mac OS X is not where it should be. Considerable progress was made a couple months ago, and it is now usable on recent hardware for most tasks. (In fact, having discovered how useful branches are, I'm using 1.4.0 for writing my book -- a decision I have not regretted: kudos to all!) However, when typing inside long paragraphs the appearance of text on screen lags considerably behind -- so much so that I find myself breaking text into a new paragraph just to type and then rejoining the text when I'm done. (This workaround doesn't work when typing inside insets, however.)

I have a 5-year-old 466MHz G3 iBook on which the current LyX/Mac 1.4.0 is unusably slow. Out of desperation I recently installed linux on it to see how LyX-1.4.0 runs there. It is much faster, handily outpacing LyX/Mac on my 1.25GHz G4 iMac in long paragraphs. (Perhaps I should add that LyX/linux 1.4.0 is still slower than LyX/Mac-1.3.x, so the issue seems not to be Mac vs. linux but LyX/Mac-1.3.x vs LyX/ Mac-1.4.0.)

I'm happy to do whatever I can to help figure out where the bottleneck is on the Mac, but I'll need to be pointed in the right direction: what information would be useful? How can I get it? ...

Bennett