On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 03:55:58PM +0100, Michael Gerz wrote:
> Martin Vermeer wrote:
>
> >Attached, finally, the corrected version of the patch using crc32. Turns
> >out y isn't needed here after all.
> >

> Just wondering: Is crc32 a suitable algorithm to build a signature (aka
> hash value). Why don't we use one of famous hash algorithms?
>
> Michael

I think it is. The requirements are

1) identical rows give always identical hashes
2) different rows give _in practice_ always different hashes.

CRC32 meets these requirements, and seems to be OK on speed.

In my understanding, stronger hashes are used if you have a third
requirement:

3) One should not be able to "doctor" a row to produce a pre-desired
hash, AKA a trapdoor algorithm.

You see, I ended up researching the thing ;-)

- Martin