Bo Peng wrote:
And personally bst files should always go into c:\localtexmf\bibtex\bst\

Since the .bst file (downloaded from a Journal's website) is only
needed for a paper I am writing, it makes sense to put it along with
the paper. Also, it is troublesome, and sometimes not allowed, to put
it to the texmf directory. Fortunately, I only need to do so for
windows systems.

no problem. But in such cases it is better to have a TeX-compatible
local TeX-tree, e.g. _all_ needed files of "The LaTeX Companion"
or the new edition of "The LaTeX Graphic Companion" are saved in
a texmf-directory, which itself is a subdirectory of the document
directory. For Linux we do a "export TEXMFLOCAL=texmf" before
running latex on the document file. Then TeX is looking first
into this directory.

the advantage is, that the document will compile after years,
when a lot of the packages maybe updated and not compatible
to the old one.

Herbert