Enrico Forestieri wrote:
[ snip the results of some impressive detective work ]

> Angus, in a previous post you said that "they're messing up the output
> that they devised for us" and indeed this seems to be the case.
> However, I don't know what "our" agreement was, so I would be grateful
> if you could report to them the story...

"Our" agreement was simply that David Kastrup and, to a lesser extent,
Jan-Åke Larsson created all the hooks needed by LyX in preview.sty and in
dvipng. They'll certainly remember, albeit hazily. I was a PITA (that's
"their arses") for a couple of months ;-)

I'm afraid I'm extremely busy tying up lose ends ATM before I start a new
job on Monday. Please contact them on the AucTeX mailing list; you'll tell
the story so much better than I could ;-)

> Then, still there is the problem that if a font is missing, the output
> of the programs that are in charge to generate it is mixed to the
> stdout of dvipng, thus confusing lyxpreview2bitmap.py. I think that
> they should be launched redirecting their stdout to stderr.

Sounds reasonable. Get them to do so and then add a test to
lyxpreview2bitmap.py for dvipng version >= 1.8 (as it perhaps will be) and
you're done.

Welcome to the LyX developer team ;-)
--
Angus