Looking at the LyX web site (thinking of upcoming release) I notice that
the LyX licence isn't mentioned other than "open source". Shouldn't
there be a front page link to the licence info?

Then, it says "a slightly modified GPL" which in my understanding no
longer applies.

Contributers -> Contributors

I used to like the text on the front page -- "LyX is what?!" -- but now
looking at it again, I am struck by the technical nature of the text.
LyX is described as the sum of its nuts and bolts as much as by its
capabilities. I think capabilities, the problems it was designed to
solve, should come here, and the nuts and bolts only later.

Remember, this is the place where we "sell" -- or fail to sell -- LyX.
People "buy" solutions, not code or gadgets.

(I've been reading Karl Fogel's "Producing Open Source Software". :)

What about

"LyX is an advanced open source (GPL v.2, link) document processor
that encourages an approach to writing based on the structure of your
documents, not their appearance.

"LyX was written for people that write and want their writing to look
great, out of the box. No more endless tinkering with formatting
details, 'finger painting' font attributes or futzing around with page
boundaries. You just write. In the background, LyX's legendary LaTeX
typesetting engine makes _you_ look good.

"LyX is stable and fully featured. It is a multi-platform, fully
internationalized application running natively on Unix/Linux and the
Macintosh and modern Windows platforms."

And later on:

"On screen, LyX looks like any word processor; its printed output -- or
richly cross-referenced PDF, just as readily produced -- looks like
nothing else.  Gone are the days of industrially bland .docs, all
looking similarly not-quite-right, yet coming out unpredictably
different on different printer drivers. Gone are the crashes 'eating'
your dissertation the evening before going to press.

"LyX was written for scientists by scientists, and it shows, in
world-class support for math and structured document creation. Such
staples of scientific authoring as reference list and index creation
come standard. But _you_ don't have to be a scientist: with LyX you
create just as easily a letter or a novel or a theatre play or film
script. A broad array of ready, well designed document layouts and style
modification and feature support packages are built in."

Is this an idea?

- Martin