Uwe> I didn't try this but noticed that iconv for Windows wasn't able
Uwe> to convert the .po-files properly.

iconv cannot directly convert a po file, since it does not chnage the
entry that describes the encoding. All it does is to convert text
files; it does not understand how a po file works.

Uwe> I use now thunderbird that does the job fine. I don't know if
Uwe> thunderbird can be invoked by a script to convert the .po-files
Uwe> automatically before we use msgfmt to build the .mo-files. If
Uwe> this is pssible it might be a possible solution.

I do not understand how thunderbird can be useful...

Uwe> @ JMarc:
>> What environment variable is used currently for Polish language?

Uwe> The name is "Lang", the value is "pl_PL".

Can you try something like pl_PL.cp1251 (or whatever the right
codepage is)?