samar j. singh wrote:

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 18:27, Helge Hafting wrote:
samar j. singh wrote:
Hi

Long table does not split  when inside a Table float.

I am not sure this is unique to this version of Lyx though I seem to think
I have used this successfully before.
Floats _never_ split - their purpose is to float big un-splittable items
(pictures, tables) around so as to avoid bad page breaks. If the float
is too big, then it extends into the lower margin.

Long tables will split just fine if you don't stick them in a float.
Nice when
the table is longer than one page, or when exact position is important
and you don't mind the split. There are special tricks for getting a
caption for
the longtable, if you want that.

Helge Hafting

Hi

That makes a lot of sense. How do we get a caption, please.

http://tug.org/TeXnik/mainFAQ.cgi?file=floats/nonFloat

Is it possible for the caption to have a consistent table name and will it show up in the list of tables?

I never tried this myself, but this tip page shows how to
make a caption outside a float, and have it added to the
list of tables too.

Helge Hafting