On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 03:57:01PM +0100, Leuven, E. wrote:

> > I agree - context-sensitive toolbars should appear and
> > disappear at the bottom of the window.
>
> so why don't we activate them there for 1.4?

Because they're extremely distracting for many people, and useful for
others. It's a pity I ran out of time to add UI for this.

> i understand that there is a freeze, but
>
> 1. this does not touch the code
> 2. does not break anything
> 3. and makes lyx much more user friendly

We don't know any of these to be true. Regarding 1 and 2, we don't know
- there may be some significant bugs (and indeed, we already know there
are problems with some of the tabular things). If we enable it by
default, that implies that such bugs are higher priority. We simply
don't have the resources to risk this change. The potential costs
outweight the potential benefits.

regards,
john