Michael Abshoff wrote:

Only one more rants, I promise: For a living I port C++ code to Linux,
OSX, Solaris, *BSD and sometimes HP/UX and AIX. I also need to get that
code running under Windows using MSVC (MS SVU is not an option). 99% of my
troubles stem from MSVC and Windows in general, so I have an indentation
in my desk from hitting my head repeateldly against the surface due to
frustration.

I have the symmetric indentation on my forehead.  :-)

Possibly worth noting for anyone considering using MSVC to build LyX: Microsoft's usual sense of humor about standards applies to elements of the Standard Template Library. I can't recall specifics off-hand (haven't used MSVC in over a year), but I recall that BoundsChecker Pro, which is a commercial tool for finding memory leaks, had fits with some of the STL routines. There were also some other adventures, where third party libraries had incompatibilities with the STL.

IIRC, MSVC also uses nonstandard scoping of loop indices. Again, my memory is fuzzy, but I believe that

for (int i=1; i<10; i++) ...;
for (int i=1; i<n; i++) ...;

should compile correctly in any standard implementation of C/C++, but I think MSVC crabs that the second occurrence of 'int i' is redefining 'i'.

Anyway, forewarned is forearmed.

/Paul