>> But eraseIntern is only called when removing characters from a
>> paragraph, right?

Abdelrazak> You are right of course. My use case is to type "Enter" in
Abdelrazak> the middle of the paragraph of a big document (Extended or
Abdelrazak> UserGuide) thus cutting this paragraph in two. In this
Abdelrazak> case eraseIntern _is_ the bottleneck.

OK. I guess the problem is that eraseIntern does one character at a
time instead of erasing a block. This means that the paragraph data is
copied multiple times too. However I am surprised that this has a
noticeable effect. How long are your paragraphs?

>> Can you have access to a profiler?

Abdelrazak> If you know something that works with mingw, I will be
Abdelrazak> happy to use that. Right now, I am profiling by putting
Abdelrazak> debug info.

I use gprof with gcc. You should configure with --enable-profiling
--disable-stdlib-debug --disable-assertions and recompile.

BTW, do you use --disable-stdlib-debug?