Bennett> One thing I've noticed *prior* to applying this patch, which
Bennett> it would be nice to fix, is that within the
Bennett> development/MacOSX/LyX.app bundle, there is
Bennett> Contents/Resources/LyX/preferences. When --with-version-
Bennett> suffix is used, it creates a *new* directory,
Bennett> Contents/Resources/ LyX-1.4.0cvs/ and uses that for the
Bennett> default user's directory, thereby bypassing the preferences
Bennett> file (which provides, most importantly, correct PATH_prefix
Bennett> settings for OS X). It would be nice to have preferences
Bennett> moved automatically to the correct directory within the
Bennett> application bundle.

What I'll try to do instead is to get rid of this extra LyX directory
nesting. This will be after 1.4.0, though.

Bennett> So, for OS X it would be best IMO to do the following when
Bennett> dealing with --with-version-suffix:

Bennett> 1. leave executable names alone (to avoid the need for soft
Bennett> links), 2. use the --with-version-suffix setting to determine
Bennett> the user's directory, and 3. (eventually) make sure that the
Bennett> default preferences file gets copied into the appropriate
Bennett> lyx-xxx directory inside the application bundle on make
Bennett> install.

I'll think about it...