Martin Vermeer wrote:

> Actually a simple fix that comes to my mind is to simply strip out all
> internal dollar signs before trying to parse the string.

Something even simpler would be to do the mutate call only if there are no
dollar signs, but I am not sure whether we should do anything here at all.
formulas of type "none" are not officially supported after all.

> Then, in an earlier patch of mine posted on the list, the MathFontInset
> output routine would again add the dollar signs around any equations
> found embedded in \textrm-like fontinsets, which is the only place they
> are required.

I don't think that this is a good idea. We should not do anything with
\textrm etc. These should be replaced by a working MathMBoxInset that
stores its content as a InsetText. That will solve all problems, because
then the InsetText can contain any math formula.

Georg