Abdelrazak Younes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> OK thanks Enrico, I'll take a look. I was under the impression that your
> method would need a cygwin installation a user but if you tell me that
> this is not mandatory. Maybe we could switch to your version altogether
> instead of the MSYS based solution. What do you think Angus?

Well, I use cygwin tools to build both a native and a cygwin dependent
LyX because, already having cygwin, I don't want to also install MinGW
(which, btw, is a project forked from cygwin).

Using cygwin tools requires patching the Qt sources in both cases, so I
think that the official supporting of MinGW is right. In the users list
someone asked for a cygwin version of LyX and I thought why not? A posix
environment is a good thing and perhaps lyxclient would be usable, opening
the possibility of reverse DVI search in LyX under Windows.

So, for those who want a cygwin version I set up this wiki page:
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyXOnCygwin
(well, Christian set up it for me and then I added content to it ;-))
whereas I didn't publish the other method as I got no request for it
until I saw your post and thought it would have been of interest to you.

In summary:
- The automake problem will be solved for sure, so there will be no point
  in requiring cygwin for building LyX.
- Who already has cygwin *and* wants a cygwin version, can make use of the
  wiki page above.

--
Enrico