Am Donnerstag, 9. März 2006 10:06 schrieb João Luis Meloni Assirati:
> Ok, that is useful, a child format inherits its parents viewers. My
problem is
> another. In your patch, a .dvix (I am not using this anymore, but lets
> communicate like this) is made through the chain
>
> .tex -> .dvi -> .dvix.

Not from the converter class point of view. The chain is

.tex -> .dvix.

but with the side effect that an existing dvi is overwritten.

> If the converter sees a .dvi in the tmpdir (that is, I previously
exported to
> dvi), then a next .dvix generation (that is, a next preview) will simply
move
> the existing .dvi into the desired .dvix, resulting in a .dvix without
source
> specials.

No, it will not. The converter mechanism will see that generation of a
dvix file is necessary. It will then run latex (producing dvi, possibly
overwriting an existing dvi file) and rename the dvi file, but this
process is only triggered if creation of a dvix is needed.

> So, if there is not a flag anywhere to say to the converter not to use a
> stale .dvi to produce the .dvix, I think that we are forced to use some
kind
> of for_preview flag.

The converter will not use this dvi, since it does not appear in the
chain. At least that is the theory, I hope that the implemenattion really
does follow it.

Georg