>* Open anyway.
>fine, assume the user sorts it out after being warned

Letting the user "Open anyway" after being warned still seems a lot
better than not warning the user at all. I thought that not letting
the user open the file rw may not be popular in certain quarters...
this was the only reason I could think of that  "locking" could be
accused of "adding confusion".

>* Attempt to kill other LyX window.
>How?  Killing the process is no good, that process may have
>several unsaved documents open.  And it might belong
>to another user anyway.

I was thinking of firefox which has a habit of leaving stale processes
around, locking the ~/.firefox directory.  Probably not really useful
for LyX.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
Master's Student