Juergen Spitzmueller wrote:

>> * Easy to use support for oldstylenums. They look good, and are
>>   well supported by latex in any document class.  Could be done
>>   with a charstyle, but this is problematic - text inside
>>   oldstylenums screws up sometimes, and applying a charstyle is too
>>   much work anyway.
>
> There are several ways. Some fonts like palatino (mathpazo) provide a
> global switch (osf). That one should be part of the font settings
> (document dialog). But I think you aim at a way of inserting oldstyle nums
> only at individual places?

Oldstylenums are not available for all fonts (e.g. Helvetica). I see in the
LaTeX companion that you can use the textcomp package to issue a warning if
the oldstylenumls glyphs are not available. I think this featrue should be
coupled with a parsing of the LaTeX log to warn users if there are problems
with glyphs.

Cheers,
Charles
--