>> Please, instead of
>>
>> #ifdef _WIN32 #ifndef _WIN32
>>
>> use
>>
>> #if defined(_WIN32) || defined(__CYGWIN__) #if !defined(_WIN32) &&
>> !defined(__CYGWIN__)
>>
>> in this code, as it will also work on Cygwin.

Bo> Please fix that yourself, and test this feature with the attached
Bo> configure.py patch. My windows machine is painfully slow ... I
Bo> will create a full patch when the patches are confirmed to work.

I do not think it is the right approach. First it adds unnecessary
complication to configure.py. Second, it seems simpler to have code in
LyX like:

  1) read lyxrc.defaults
  2) iterate over the viewer/editor list and overwrite all those for
     which canOpenFile (see other message) returns true the command
     with "auto"
  3) read preferences (so that the user can declare its own viewers
  different from the system ones).

Does this seem reasonable to you?