Enrico> Strictly speaking, the LDFLAGS thing is a quick hack in order
Enrico> to have configure test for Qt succeeding, otherwise libtool is
Enrico> able to figure out what libraries are needed from libqt.la.

Looks like we need a version of AC_CHECK_LIB that uses libtool instead
of CC to link, like GGI_CHECK_LIB here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/ggi/tools/buildframework/m4/check4libggi.m4?rev=1.7

Of course, we should find a more generic one or do our own LYX_CHECK_LIB.

Does Qt always have .la files for the cases that interest us? Does it
mean that we could do without the check for X11?

What does libqt-mt.la look like for mingw? cygwin? mac osx?