Bo> The Noop thing works like magic. I do not understand how it
Bo> handles enable/disable and makrDirty though.

It goes like this:

Noop: a normal lfun, that operates on a non-readonly text. When it is
executed, the buffer is marked readonly

ReadOnly: this one can be executed on a readonly document

NoBuffer: this one can be executed when there is no buffer.

These flags avoid too much repeated code in getStatus.

Bo> Patch 1: Remove USE_COMPRESSION for 1.4

Looks very good.

Bo> Patch 2: LFUN_TOGGLE_COMPRESSION for 1.5

Looks very good too. Please just rename toggle-compression to
buffer-toggle-compression, to indicate that this operates on a buffer.

Bo> Patch 3: LFUN_TOGGLE_COMPRESSION for 1.4 (It is accumulative to
Bo> patch 1, my laziness)

As a consequence looks good too.

Bo> OK to go in? (You may want to apply patch3 and test for 1.4
Bo> though).

I'll test patch 3 (take some time to build of course).

You can apply patch 2 (actually, I was testing a very similar one :).