Bennett> It seems to work fine, though accents do not show up
Bennett> properly. (That's been a long-standing bug.)

In the menus, right? Can you show me how locales look like on your
system? Here I have

fantomas: locale -a |grep fr_FR
fr_FR
fr_FR.ISO-8859-1
fr_FR.ISO-8859-15
fr_FR.UTF-8

And fr_FR is actually fr_FR.ISO-8859-15.

Bennett> On the other hand, I haven't had problems with GUI language
Bennett> on any of my machines, even though there have been reports on
Bennett> the user's list of problems. I'm not sure what's going on
Bennett> there.

Do you have LYX_LOCALEDIR set, by chance?