Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Nevertheless, the fact that viewer and edito are noz part of the
> format declaration itself is bad conceptually, since it means there is
> no way to change the format without changing the helper programs. What
> was the idea behind this change?

IIRC the idea was that it does not make sense to add another format related
command (this change was done when I introduced the editors), and therefore
we combined all into the format definition.
Note that the code to read the separate viewer definitions still exists, so
nobody prevents you from leaving the viewer entry in the format definition
empty and add it separately. That is not possible for the editor, since
that one was never separate, but we could add that if needed.

Georg