Uwe Stöhr wrote:

> That's the same as for SVG-images. But the bitmap looks readable.
> Nervertheless the Imagemagick people are working on a vector graphics
> rendering engine but this is at the moment "far from beeing complete".
> Also Acrobat can't handle WMF. Do you know a program that could convert
> SVG and WMF-images to PDF?

There are several converters available on windows, both gratis an for cost.
Simply search for "wmf converter"

> Btw. WMF couldn't handle splines - strange for a vector format and
> perhaps the reason why other programs can't handle it.

No, that is not the reason. The reason is that WMF is not a traditional file
format, but rather a binary transcript of the commands you need to
represent the contents on screen or on a printer on windows.
Therefore it is trivial to support wmf (and convert it to something else via
a printer driver) on windows, but not so easy on other OSes.

Some time ago I investigated WMF conversion. I tried to fix libwmf to handle
the images I had, but gave up because it is written in C with too many
layers of abstraction IMHO. I also tried to rip the code from openoffice,
but it is too tightly integrated to be useful in a standalone project.
Finally I started a python converter but ran out of time, so it is
unfinished. If anybody wants to have a go I can publish what I have: It can
read wmf files and convert them to some XML format, and some basic things
can also be drawn in EPS.

Georg