Am Mittwoch, 3. Mai 2006 12:18 schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes:

> I have to admit that a problem I have with these local layout files is
> that we are going to loose all control over our files. Currently, if
> there is a bug in article.layout, we can correct it. If we make local
> versions of these files easy to handle, we are going to see everybody
> using a file with local versions of article.layout where they added
> some theorem layout (or they added nothing, but got it from someone
> who grabbed it from another document) and wondering why it does not
> work with brand new LyX 1.8.
>
> This is the reason why LaTeX people designed the LPPL (where you can
> make sure that article.cls is really article.cls).

This is a legal solution for a technical problem (the fact that LaTeX is a
macro collection, and that the macros cannot easily be patched) which I
don't like.

If we don't want people to use modified "standard" layouts we could simply
prefer the system layouts and layouts in ~/.lyx over local layouts. This
makes it still possible to use documents with foreign layouts, but does
not make it easy to accidentally use outdated standard layouts.

Georg