John Levon wrote:

I understand that sometimes that's difficult to do, and it's fair
enough. But it's very important that the trunk stay working. What if
someone else needs to make a related change, and they are completely
blocked behind your work because the trunk's broken? What if you're
called away with work for a fortnight?
BTW, the completely brokenness of the 1.4cvs trunk was a major factor in
me pretty much giving up on LyX development. That and me being a git, of
course.

I don't know if you care, but I'm sure somebody does ;)
OK, OK, OK,... you convinced me. Sending patches to the list but not being allowed to commit them is the worst alternative for me.

I will create a branch now. I will send small patches to the mailing list and ask you for comments on the overall approach. However, I won't care about a broken CT until it is time to merge with the trunk.

Michael