Enrico Forestieri a écrit :
On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 06:24:42PM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
Bo Peng a écrit :
Dear list,

*Please* just put cold comparison data in this thread. No discussion
and debates. (Open another thread if needed).

On my dual processor Xeon 2.8G Linux workstation, I get

scons --config=force -j3 frontend=qt4 qt_dir=/path/to/qt4       => 6:37s
autogen.sh; ./configure....; make -j3 => 10:32s

I expect larger difference under windows, but we need to wait for the
numbers there.
Windows/mingw/qt4

scons frontend=qt4 qt_dir=d:/program/Qt/4.1 extra_inc_path=d:/mingw/include extra_lib_path=d:/mingw/lib

clean compile lyx+tex2lyx =     45 minutes

null compile =                  4 minutes
        scons: Building targets ...     3 minutes

Windows/cygwin/mingw/qt4
autogen.sh      2 minutes
configure       6 minutes

I don't have the time to do a full autotools recompile now but IIRC it was around 1h30. A null compile is quicker though, we need to tweak that Bo because waiting 4 minutes for nothing is not acceptable. What's this "Loading qt4 tool" doing? Is it possible to just skip the first config phase?

And you compiled using -O2 with scons, too, right? Otherwise this is
an unfair comparison. I have numbers close to yours on cygwin, but I
cannot convince scons to compile using -O2.

Well I have lanched a full compil with "-03 -w" and autotools and I have this:
real    788m15.597s
user    19m52.667s
sys     17m44.314s

null-compil is not possible in my system. A bunch of files (qt4/moc/*, some file in qt4/, some files insrc/) are always recompiled. I have ckecked the time tag of all files in my d:/ tree but no file are set in the future.

I agree I should do the same with Scons. Will do now...

Abdel.