>> Another possibility would be to have a special value like "never"
>> or "noauto" for the viewer meaning we should not make it viewable
>> even if the OS claims it can do it.

Bo> "" means never, "auto" means ...

>> Bo, one thing I do not like in your "auto" approach is that it is
>> system-dependent. The flagging of formats that should not be viewed
>> is independent of the OS.

Bo> Currently, "should not be viewed" is denoted by "" (or possibly
Bo> none), which is *not* os dependent.

It is not "should not be viewed", it is "I did not find a viewer and I
am not under windows".

Bo> "auto" only appears when configure.py tries to locate a viewer. it
Bo> returns 'auto' under windows, and '' or appname otherwise.
Bo> Therefore, I do not see the problem of "The flagging of formats
Bo> that should not be viewed is independent of the OS".

Hmmm, you may be right. I've got to re-read the patch, and also we
have to find the best way to make it work with Georg's idea of noview
flag.

At least, it seems to me that the isAutoViewable() cached value of
formats is not useful. What about, in setAutoOpen (in my patch)
setting "auto" values to empty() if windows does not know how to
handle the format? This would avoid to add these methods and avoid
extra tests.

And "auto" should be set for _all_ platforms when we did not succeed
to find a viewer. This auto value will be ignored when it does not
make sense.