Andre> 'Using LyX 1.5 on a distribution shipped in July 2006' means
Andre> 'installing LyX 1.5'. Installing Qt 4 in the same place is
Andre> about the same (I'd even argue 'less') effort and requires the
Andre> same set of priviledges.

Are we 100% sure that no other rpm on the system will insist on having
the version of qt4 that shipped with the distribution? This is where
trouble begins, in general.

Andre> I think it is sufficient to keep Qt 3 compilable, let GTK rot
Andre> (in the sense to declare it 'tolerated, but not supported by
Andre> the core team'), and put all effort into Qt 4.

Also, are we sure that at that time qt4 will be at least as fast as qt3?

Andre> PS: There is now a patch that allows Qt 4.1.4 to draw straight
Andre> lines without triggering an ASSERT. Given that Qt 4.1.3 was
Andre> already able to draw triangles without crashing (in contrast to
Andre> 4.1.2...), it looks like things are progressing smoothly on the
Andre> Qt front...

Indeed.