Joost Verburg wrote:

Bo Peng wrote:

Are you going to upload sources or patches of aspell etc? It is better
to put the installer in the trunk, since a branch sounds temporary to
me. Then, we'd better only keep patches to external programs. If the
installer works for both 1.4.x and 1.5.x, the top directory (parellel
to lyx-devel  and www-devel) may make sense.

Yes, the installer indeed works for both 1.4 and 1.5. A top directory is what I mean.

Are you sure that it will also work for 1.6 (and 1.7, 2.0, 2.1, ...too)? Or the other way round: Are you also sure that the 1.6 installer will also work with 1.4? If not (and my experience tells me that you cannot predict the future), there are good reasons NOT to have a top-level directory. Otherwise, we needed branches for the installers as well. (Or a separate repository for the installer).

I think it's better to upload the complete source of Aspell etc. instead of just a patch. This will allow the whole package to be compiled at once without having to download and patch a large number of tools. Of course it will also be in this separate directory.

Please, no! We don't have the resources to maintain third-party products. Please only commit patches to the products, not their complete source code.

Michael