On Tuesday 15 August 2006 08:44, Georg Baum wrote:

> Your use case makes indeed sense. I am not sure whether we can generally
> drop the check for existing files in Formats::edit(), or whether we need to
> add a flag.

I have updated my svn local copy, and commented these lines in
Formats::edit():

/*if (filename.empty() || !fs::exists(filename)) {
._______._______Alert::error(_("Cannot edit file"),
._______._______._______bformat(_("File does not exist: %1$s"),
._______._______._______._______filename));
._______._______return false;
._______}*/

Then have compiled LyX.
So I obtained "lyx-qt3". When I launch it, nothing happens.
The size of src/lyx-qt3 executable is 109M, whereas the size of the lyx
executable of my rpm distribution is 7M. What happened?

> xfig allows to use LaTeX commands in texts and can export to a special
> LaTeX file that can be included instead of the eps. I always thought that
> Tgif can do this too, but now I looked it up an that does not seem to be
> the case, so forget this one.

I know this feature, but it is not perfect, because it's difficult to foresee
the size and the place of the LaTeX equations in the drawing.
That is why I searched a tool that allows to *see* the equations in the
drawing. I posted some weeks ago about this subject. Somebody indicated Tgif,
that call LyX to handle equation editing: it is exactly the tool that I
searched. Now it is easy to include equations in graphics (before I was
slowed down by the suite of tricks that was mandatory).
Perhaps a Tgif template could be integrated in LyX by default? Some people
would be surely interested by this function.

Julien