chr> Hi I'd like to ask for some ideas/thoughts on the wiki from a
chr> documentation perspective. Or rather, I'd like some general
chr> thougths on what kind of documentation we would like for LyX,
chr> considering that we can have the documentation in several places
chr> these days.

chr> Here are some loose ideas of types of documentation:

chr> * Documentation that comes with a LyX installation **
chr> UserGuide.lyx etc, to be read from inside LyX ** UserGuide.lyx
chr> etc as a PDF-version (to easily allow printing)

Do you think that a PDF version would really help in this respect? I
can see that it helps people who would like to print the docs without
installing latex...

chr> * Documentation that can be read online ** Is there a point to
chr> having an online version of the UserGuide, or perhaps to have
chr> tutorials online? ** Wiki pages? Web pages

What would be nice in general would be to generate the docs from (a
part of) the wiki, but the formatting possibilities of the wiki are
too poor to allow that. However, it would be nice to have
automatically pdf and maybe html versions of the docs on the web site.

chr> * Collaborative documentation (eg. the wiki)

chr> * The FAQ - how does it fit in (it's currently on the wiki)

I think the FAQ should be removed from the docs, or maybe (since it is
less complicated in terms of formatting than, say, the UserGuide) we
could generate it from a part of the wiki. Is it possible to export a
wiki tree to latex?

JMarc