Dears,

>>> I think this will result in surprising behaviour.
>>>
>>> 1. Set languag inside lyx to "swedish" (why not?)
>>>    - save and exit
>>> 2. run lyx with LANG=no_NO ./lyx
>>>    - get a nice swedish lyx
>>>
>>> I think that the ui language should not be settable from inside lyx.
>>>
>> Well, why is it so important to keep the almightiness of LANG?
>>
>> I think we need a few more opinions before we take a decision.
As a translator I often need to start two LyX session, one using my
local language and the other using english.

It would be impossible or hard to do this without the LANG variable!

This will also break the linux "locale" theorem.

But, if you switch to ignore the LANG variable:

 1. I prefer to create a command line switch to override the lyxrc settings.
 2. create a code that ignore the LANG variable only on Windows!

> This is also possible in many programs I use and avoids that users have
> to fiddle around with environment variables; for example about 90% of
> the Win users don't know what an environment variable is and they
> usually also don't know that they have to modify a batch file to set
> LyX's menu language.

I agree with Uwe, but I think this applies only to the MS platform,
isn't it?

Alex