"Dr Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am not on a Lyx-bashing spree here, but simply giving you my thoughts as a
> first-time user who has relevant background and experience in industry as
> well as science and technology.

Very good.

>  I expected this introductory document to be a finely-honed work of
> perfection with the purpose of not only aiding the new user in becoming
> familiar with Lyx, but to convince him of the correctness of choosing Lyx.

The Intro is certainly not perfect. Did you read the Tutorial too?

> My first "bad experience" with Lyx was the inability to display matching
> "double quotes", as the colloquial jargon calls them. You can see on the
> attached IMG01 that a different character is being used for the opening and
> closing quotation symbols; really, I would not expect to see such a faux pas
> in either the document or the Lyx application at less than five minutes
> out-of-the-box.

Last time I checked, quotes in English language were not symmetrical
(as in most languages, actually).

> In addition, for whatever reason, I see inconsistent indentation behavior
> for Standard style. For example, the first Standard paragraph following a
> Subsection is flush-left, but each subsequent Standard paragraph is indented
> 5 spaces. What kind of style convention is that? How can a "set style"
> possibly be allowed to have two different behaviors?

This is a feature of the particular document class (the standard LaTeX
one). Other classes make different typographical choices.

> And, how about missing characters (or maybe it is a character that should be
> removed)? I see a closing parenthesis with no opening parenthesis. Take a
> look at Section 2 Navigating the Document, second paragraph, the last
> character.

Well spotted.

> Also, I found it rather odd to have footnotes marked with red text "foot" on
> a grey background. I rather would have expected to see numerals, or at least
> a numeral along with the text. I can see the utility if the document is
> intended for electronic viewing and navigation, but not if it is to be
> printed. I suspect that at print time the footnote references are converted
> to numerals; I did not check that at this point.

This is implemented in forthcoming version 1.6.0. However, not
everybody thinks that we should do that.

> You try to make the case of the user applying character-based manual
> formatting to a document, I suspect because that is indeed what an
> *untrained* user tends to do. But, as the Lyx documentation makes
> clear, *training *is a must for using Lyx.

My view is that word makes is easy to do "finger-painting" and
possible to do correct style-based formatting. LyX tries to do the
opposite.

Thanks for your comments.

JMarc