On 9/16/23 15:35, Dan wrote:
Hello,

I am currently finishing the translation of the Tutorial manual, and I am
realizing there are quite a few bits that could benefit from using dynamic text
fields (so-called infoInsets: Insert > Field), thus preventing minor changes in
the source code or UI strings to affect the coherence of the Docs; just as we
already do with keyboard shortcuts or function icons.

I am thinking of:
   - Names of example or template files, which are seldom used and, if so, just in a
particular manual. For example "Example (raw)" in Tutorial.
   - Names of the manuals of the documentation (are translatable to show them
in Help menu).
   - Location of specific features or functions in the menus: File > New, Document
> View, Edit > Undo and the like.

What do you think of this? As I am updating the translation of the UI as well,
I find myself searching the manuals with ongoing translation for very small
bits of information that have changed, such as the ones listed above.

That sounds like a very good idea to me. The manuals also double as examples: You can see from them how to do certain things in LyX. Info insets aren't as useful to most users, but they might be, so using them shows the user that this option exists.

Riki