Matthias> Hmmm... I admit that most people work with color screens
Matthias> these days, but nevertheless it would be nice to have this
Matthias> solved...

I agree this should be done, but since we are going to redesign some
of these things, it is perhaps not the right moment.

Matthias> Finally, I think the LaTeX errors I got had different
Matthias> reasons. I ignored indeed that LaTeX digests something like
Matthias> \textrm {text}.

There are very few cases where the space matters, especially in math
mode.

Matthias> OK then - what do I have to change to make LyX display the
Matthias> X11 epsilon when I type \varepsilon ? I use \varepsilon
Matthias> systematically because it looks nicer than \epsilon (in the
Matthias> output). But my formulas get long (in LyX). So I would just
Matthias> have LyX display "\epsilon" in red and the X11 epsilon for
Matthias> \varepsilon. Could you indicate me the appropriate place(s)
Matthias> in the code ? (Alejandro...?)

I would say changing symbol_def.h is enough. However, you can also try
the following solution: add
  \let\epsilon=\varepsilon
in your preamble, and use merrily epsilon in LyX. This seems much
simpler to me. And for your existing files, I guess a search and
replace in an editor should do the trick.

Matthias> Would be nice, though :( Basically, it would mean _not_ to
Matthias> interpret the LaTeX commands in mathed on demand...  Could
Matthias> you put it on some "to do" list ? Perhaps someone takes the
Matthias> time someday. ;)

Well, if it is only inside of a particular mathed equation, it might
be doable, after all.

Matthias> :) BTW: any timescale for 0.12.1 (without any "pre") ?

Don't ask :)

Very soon, as it has been for some time.

JMarc