(I'd have thought this would have come up before, but could find no
mention of it in the archive.)

LyX's behaviour on multiple presses of the space key is fine most of the
time, but it feels a bit unnatural when you want to insert a word between
two others, as you often find yourself pressing space twice:

this_ is
this _is
this c_is
this ca_is
this cat_is
this cat _is

where "_" shows the cursor position. I know I should start at the right
hand side of the gap, but it looks unnatural typing in a word that is
joined to the one on the right.

A suggestion that would cure this problem: if you were allowed to have a
space either side of the cursor, then my problem would go away. If you
move the cursor out from between two spaces, they should of course be
reduced back to one.

This feature is effectively what is implemented vertically when you press
Return between two paragraphs (except that there it's one space which
collapses to zero if you move away). It seems natural to extend this from
vertical to horizontal mode.

--
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rrt1001/ | maxim, n.  wisdom for fools