I would like to use the center environment to display a table in a fixed
position (not a float). The advantage of this is that it also puts some
space around the centered table, whereas if I just center the paragraph,
no space is added (which is fine).

I don't want to change the spacing of each table manually (that's going
back to wordprocessing), but that's what seems to be done in the User
Guide. Never mind. I modified the book class to add a Center layout, which
uses \begin{center}...\end{center}. So far so good: I can use this layout
and text appears as I expect.

But...when I try to insert a table in a Center paragraph, it doesn't work.
LyX very clevery translates it into a paragraph with 0.3cm space top and
bottom, displayed using \centering, rather than
\begin{center}...\end{center}. Presumably LyX works out how to do this
from my specification of the layout, but I'm not too impressed.

I suppose in reality it's just as good, because although the resultant
LaTeX file has lots of manual spacing commands, if I change the LyX
textclass file I've made, the spacing will all change. Nevertheless, can
someone tell me why LyX has to do this with tables?

--
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rrt1001/ | maxim, n.  wisdom for fools