On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hi.  I just know this is a FAQ, but I cannot seem to find in
>either the help menu or the mailing list archive.  The problem
>is in including figures.  When I try to include a postscript
>figure in the document, it works just fine and the lyx picture
>looks just great.  The problem comes when I try to preview
>the document.  An error is generated and a dialog box pops up
[snip]

try to look at you postscript file in some ASCII editor (or use
more/less). If there is something similar to

%%BoundingBox: 50 50 410 302

among the first lines, it should normally work.
If not, you need either to
export your graphic as .eps (not just .ps) from wherever you created it.
Or you can insert a bounding box by hand, which might be a little tricky
because you have to determine the right size. Or you can use a dirty hack
to declare the bounding box in LaTeX, but this required some LaTeX
knowledge.
Perhaps someone else on the list knows an easy way to insert a bounding
box - there might even be a software tool which does it for you, if I
remember right.

If you have a bounding box and LaTeX still refuses to process your file,
you should send a small .lyx file reproducing the error.

BTW, which LyX version are you using ?

Matthias

P.S.: try to preview the UserGuide. If this doesn't work (there are
some .eps graphics in chapter 4), something is wrong with your
installation.

Matthias Zenker       MAIL: Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems
                              Oltmannsstr. 5, 79100 Freiburg, Germany
                      PHONE: (+49) 761/4588-179
                      FAX  : (+49) 761/4588-217
EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]