Dirk> There is a number of publishers and journals that provide LaTeX
Dirk> styles for submissions to them.  May be these institutions can
Dirk> be convinced to support LyX by posting LyX templates, too.
Dirk> These may be delivered by persons who have submitted
Dirk> contributions in that style and have developed a LyX template
Dirk> for that case.

Yesm this is recommend way of doing this. LyX already has textclases
for several styles (ams, ieee, aa, revtex and others).  People are
highly encouraged to submit such layout files. Creating new textclass
is not too difficult if it is not too different from the article class.

Dirk> In general --- in my opinion --- LyX should support the standard
Dirk> LaTeX styles and, maybe, some fancy extras that are very useful.
Dirk> I assume that the "ordinary" user of a word processor or text
Dirk> setting system will be served well by that.  It might be a good
Dirk> idea to maintain a web site where special templates might be
Dirk> stored for later use (together with style files necessary for
Dirk> that), but I would not recommend to overload the standard LyX
Dirk> distribution by catching every case that might be useful for
Dirk> someone sometimes in the future.  And, by the way: You will not
Dirk> be able to catch all eventualities...

I agree wholeheartedly with that. We need somebody to coordinate this
effort. This is typically an area where LyX users who don't consider
themselves as programmers can help.

JMarc