Reuben> I find this annoying (unless I have just made the selection)
Reuben> because if I start to type a command to apply to a selection
Reuben> and then realise it is wrong and press escape, the selection
Reuben> is cancelled and I must make it again. Surely just the command
Reuben> should be cancelled?

You mean that if you make a selection, type 'M-x foo Esc', then the
selection is canceled? I do not see this behaviour...

JMarc