If your style file is mystyle.sty, I think you have to add
\usepackage{mystyle}
to the latex preamble (in layout menu).

For example if I use natbib.sty, I use article class and use the latex
preamble
\usepackage{natbib}

BTW your style file has to be in place where latex knows about it (might
need to run texhash). This is somewhat tricky.

If you are writing scientific papers you will need to figure out BibTeX
too. Seems pointless to use latex and not use bibtex. Then you will also
need to get a bibliography style too (.bst file).

You might also like to lurk in comp.text.tex for info on these things.

Bill