Kaare> This is really anoying: According to man latin1 the symbol for
Kaare> one half (½ - or 1/2 if it doesn't show up correcly on your
Kaare> screen) is decimal 189. As I'm using latin1 encoding I try to
Kaare> insert it with \symbol{189} but I only get an upside down
Kaare> exclamation mark.

Entering symbols by numbers is not a good idea since TeX does not use
latin1 encoding for its output, but its own formats (OT1/T1).

Kaare> I want the slashed symbol for one half, not the horisontal
Kaare> one. It must be possible to do, but it's not mentioned in the
Kaare> documentation for latex or lyx.

If you enter directly the symbol ½ (in text mode) you will indeed get
\frac{1}{2}, from what latin1.def says:
\ProvideTextCommandDefault{\textonehalf}{\ensuremath{\frac12}}

It seems that the command \sfrac from the ltugboat.cls documentclass
does what you want:

\DeclareRobustCommand\sfrac[1]{\@ifnextchar/{\@sfrac{#1}}%
                                            {\@sfrac{#1}/}}
\def\@sfrac#1/#2{\leavevmode\kern.1em\raise.5ex
         \hbox{$\m@th\mbox{\fontsize\sf@size\z@
                           \selectfont#1}$}\kern-.1em
         /\kern-.15em\lower.25ex
          \hbox{$\m@th\mbox{\fontsize\sf@size\z@
                            \selectfont#2}$}}

Add the code in your preamble.  It seems to me that you can use it as
\sfrac12 or \sfrac1/2, but I did not test it.

JMarc