Joerg> Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes wrote: Guess this is rather a
Joerg> LaTeX-related question...  I don't want to have LaTeX break
Joerg> (hyphenate? (sp?)) words for me, like "Lin- ux". Where can this
Joerg> be turned off? Do I have to enter some mysterious (to me :-)
Joerg> LaTeX preamble?
>>  Yes, you have to :)
>>
>> The magic command is \hyphenation{Linux}

Joerg> I did enter "\hyphenation{Linux}" as LaTeX preamble, but
Joerg> nothing changed, I still get "Lin- ux". Is there something else
Joerg> I need to set? (LyX 1.0.0pre6)

I am really surprided that this does not work. Note that you should
have only *one* \hyphenation{} command, containing a space-separated
list of words.

Joerg> Also, what I would really like to do is turn off hyphenation
Joerg> completely, not just for some words. Is this at all possible?

Try something like this:
\DeclareFontFamily{T1}{cmr}{\hyphenchar\font=-1}

(replace T1 with OT1 for cm fonts)

Another solution is to use \sloppy in the preamble to get rid of the
most hyphenation.

JMarc