>> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:17:19 +0200 (CEST)
>> From: "Stephan E. Schlierf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Subject: Creating a german index revisited
>>

>> Hi there,
>>
>> a few weeks ago I asked whether somebody could help me with a problem that
>> occured writing a manual.
>> The Problem was to create a "german" index (that means an index that sorts
>> german umlauts correctly).

[snip]

>> Stephan

What about the @ separator:
afoo@äfoo
in the index entry popup puts the entry äfoo
at the alphabetical location of afoo.
A bit more lengthy than the style.ist hacking, but allows 8 bits
input encoding and deals with any complicated tex construct
(including math...that you must encode in TeX in the popup however).
Useful also if you want to reflect a font style in the index.

Or perhaps I didn't understand the requirement ?

Regards

--
Jean-Pierre