>> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:19:20 +0100 (BST)
>> From: Tony Dancer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Subject: section-names in headers?
>> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>> I am using AMS srticle format, and thanks to some help from the group
>> already have made some configuration changes to the section/subsection
>> etc formats. A look through the mail archive suggests I would be better
>> off using amsbook, but this is a paper, not a book, so the formatting
>> on other stuff  in amsbook is off for my current purposes.
>>
>> I now wish to have the headers display the section name on the left
>> hand side, and the sub-section name on the right. I also want the
>> \cfoot to have page numbers (I can manage this bit tho!). I have tried
>> using \renewcommand and I have tried using fancyhdr, trying to adapt
>> what I gleaned from instructions to changing the section/subsection
>> previously from Herbert. But I can't get it to work.
>>
>> Can someone enlighten me on the easiest way to achieve what I want,
>> using lyx or latex commands. Some help would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tony

The fancyhdr makes what you want if you redefine the way the running headers
are constructed. From my report style preamble:

\renewcommand{\chaptermark}[1]{
\markboth{\thechapter.\ \textsc{#1}}{}} % number . chapheader text in small caps
\renewcommand{\sectionmark}[1]{
\markright{\thesection\ \textsc{#1}}}  % number  sectheader text in small caps
% markers style redefinition

\rhead[\fancyplain{}{\it\leftmark}]{\fancyplain{\rm\thepage}{\rm\thepage}}
%    left header : chaptertitle on odd pages ,
%                    page number on  even pages
\chead{}           % empty center header

\lhead[\fancyplain{\rm\thepage}{\rm\thepage}]{\fancyplain{}{\it\rightmark}}
%    right header : sectiontitle on even pages,
%                   page number on  odd pages

\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0.4pt}
\renewcommand{\plainheadrulewidth}{0pt}
%                   rule control: no rules on chapter pages

This must be too complicated for your needs if you build a one-sided
document because of the fancyplain stuff (chapter are on fresh
odd pages, and we want only the page number without rule in that case).

It's a bit intricated, but I'm afraid you must
dig in this if you really want a particular page layout.

Regards

--
Jean-Pierre