On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> i'm pretty new to LyX, and after downloading LyX sources and trying to
> make an RPM for this to work, i found that i needed this XForms
> library, that is binary only. since, i like a package to be pure
> source, i looked again and tried KLyX
>
> on KLyX homepage there is a warning saying that KLyX is a
> "temporary" project because, when LyX 1.x comes there should be possible
> to link against qt or xforms as the widget interface is getting
> independent.

This is true,  although it'll be either LyX 1.2 or 2.0 depending how we
decide to number the next stable release.  The development strand in CVS
(see www.devel.lyx.org for more details) is slowly moving toward
gui/system independence and we're also replacing most of the core or
kernel of LyX.  It's not in a usable state at present although you are
certainly welcome to help.

> as a RedHat user i'd love to see a gtk+ interface, i'm even thinking on
> working on one, and i'm pretty sure that making LyX widget independent,
> should really help

Then get a copy of the cvs repository. If you can't get cvs access for
some reason let us know and maybe someone will do a snapshot.  Our
gui/system independence isn't about abstracting out puny little widgets
like individual buttons or combo-boxes we're abstracting entire dialogs
and the main window and buffer/canvas.

> is there any good news regarding this issue?, AFAIK KLyX is still based on
> LyX 0.x

KLyX is based on 0.12 but some of our 1.0 changes have been filtering
through.  Alejandro, has also started/done a gtk/gnome frontend of sorts
that uses the lyxserver as its interface.  See:
        http://www.mx.lyx.org/
for more details of that.

Allan. (ARRae)