Emanuele Olivetti wrote:

> I'm trying to install LyX (1.0.3) on my Linux laptop...
> It is not so easy!
> First of all I use RedHat 6.0 distribution. When I did ./configure
> it prompts me these mistakes :
>
>         Can't find libXforms etc...
>         Can't find xpm.h  etc...
>         Can't find libforms or libxforms  etc...
>         Can't find forms.h etc...
>
> So, no way for compiling!
>
> I read the INSTALL file and 'Problems" paragraph, but I couldn't solve
> my problem. I didn't find those files in my directoris.
> Shall I install some other RPM ?
>
> Someone can help me ? I need VERY EASY instructions, because I'm a
> Linux beginner (and LyX pre-beginner ;-D ).
>
> Thanks in advance
>
>                                                 Emanuele

You need the Xforms and libXpm libraries in order to compile LyX. You can
get them at the following sites:

Xforms:      http://bragg.phys.uwm.edu/xforms
libXpm:       http://metalab.unc.edu/

see also the LyX home page (www.lyx.org) for details.

You need the version 0.88 of Xforms (I tried with version 0.89 but it
didn't work) and libXpm-4.7 (it worked fine for me... I have RedHat 6.0
too). Follow carefully the (easy) instructions in the readme files and
you should not have any problem.

Here is a quick installation guide:
Xpm: you may untar in /usr/local then from inside the directory:
          xmkmf -a
           make
           make install
           make install.man