>>Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:21:47 +0000 (GMT)
>>From: Bill Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Subject: Re: quotes in mathmode?
>>

>>> AFAIU, mathed (the equation editor) does not re-enter in paragraph or LR mode
>>> as TeX /LaTeX does, so that the keystrokes after \mbox are still in math
>>> with the corresponding restrictions.
>>I don't really understand this.
>>However using \mbox{text} seems to work--looks like normal text, not
>>italic. The problem is just the quotes

No, the problem is that you may invoke in LaTeX any legal construct allowed in a mbox,
including re-entering math mode (that is quite useful if you write math \newcommands as
\newcommand{\myadot}{\mbox{$\dot{a}$}} to be able to use \myadot in math mode AND in
text mode).
With mathed, you don't need this anymore (have a look at the math macro mechanism)
because you can't re-enter in real text mode once you are in math mode.

>>> Have you tried the math text mode (M-m m) instead of \mbox ?
>>Same problem.
>>Can't type `` or ".

The math text mode does not accept punctuation I guess.

>>So is this a bug in LyX?

That's a feature of mathed :-). There are counterparts: as I mentioned above
the math macro mechanism is very powerful.

--
Jean-Pierre